The Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources is responsible for the energy sector. It has two divisions. The first, the power division, is responsible for power-related policies like electricity generation, transmission and distribution. The second, the energy and...
Bangladesh energy report
Bangladesh energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Bangladesh energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 34 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Supply
Gas reserves reached 418 bcm (2015). Bangladesh has modest oil reserves that are estimated at 4.1 Mt.
- Energy Prices
Prices were rising in nominal terms before 2014, although less than inflation. The Government aims to cut BPDB's losses, since the average sales price is lower than the production costs, and to overcome power shortages through investments. In March 2014 the Government raised power tariffs by an...
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption per capita is 0.22 toe, including around 300 kWh of electricity (2014).
The country's overall consumption has increased by 4.8%/year since 2000; gas is the main energy source consumed (56%), ahead of biomass (26%) and oil (15%) (2014).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS...
- Issues & Prospects
The BPBD electricity sector development plan ("Power System Master Plan", PSMP, 2015) covers the period up to 2041. It is aimed at improving imported energy infrastructure, the efficient development and utilization of domestic natural resources, the maximization of green energy and promotion of...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Bangladesh market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 2: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 3: Power generation by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 4: Map of natural gas infrastructure
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
- GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
In the Bangladesh market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Bangladesh market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Bangladesh Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Bangladesh energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports