Following China's entry into the WTO in 2001, China became the world's factory and engaged in an unprecedented economic and social development. China also started a process for the liberalisation of its energy sector, which so far has met many challenges on the path towards implementation....
China energy report
China energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated China energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 57 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
CNPC dominates the gas sector. In 2015, it produced around 95 bcm of natural gas, accounting for around 75% of the total domestic production. CNPC reported a proven reserve base of natural gas of 570 bcm at the end of 2015. CNPC is the largest gas pipeline contractor and...
- Energy Supply
Production has been growing at the fast pace of around 12%/year, on average, since 2000, which has made China the world's 6th largest producer (135 bcm in 2015). In 2015 domestic production covered 71% of the consumption. Four areas are particularly rich in gas: Tarim, Shaanxi-Gansu-...
- Energy Prices
Gas prices are higher for industries than for households, with both rates increasing at a similar pace (about 10% annually) over the last decade and stabilizing since 2013. In 2015, gas prices for households were US3.85c/kWh and for industry US4.74c/kWh. NDRC plans to reduce end-user gas prices...
- Energy Consumption
Primary consumption per capita was around 2.5 toe/cap in 2015 (more than threefold India's per capita consumption and equal to 77% of the EU average).
China's statistical agency indicated in 2015 that coal consumption in China has been underestimated since 2000, especially in recent years...
- Issues & Prospects
The main priorities are to increase the production and, above all, diversify the supply sources in order to enhance China's energy independence, and to continue the reform of the electricity sector.
The building of the new China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) - a network of roads,...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the China market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed Electric capacity by source (2015, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2015, %)
- GRAPH 5: Map of natural gas infrastructure
- GRAPH 6: Gasoline &diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total Consumption market share by energy (2015, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 11: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 13: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 15: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 16: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 17: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
In the China market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, Gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The China market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2015 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- China Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the China energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports