The energy sector is under the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME), which mainly operates through two special administrative units: UPME (Mining and Energy Planning Unit) and CREG (...
Colombia energy report
Colombia energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Colombia energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 31 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Ecopetrol (Empresa Colombiana de Petroleos), 89% of which is public through the Ministry of Finances and Public Credit, dominates the sector. In 2006 the Government authorised the opening of 20% of the capital to the private sector; 10.1% of the shares were sold at the end of 2007 (62% to...
- Energy Supply
The production of natural gas has been rather stable since 2010, at around 13 bcm (12.9 bcm in 2014).
The gas pipeline networks add up to a total of 5 600 km. A 220 km-long pipeline for the export of gas to Venezuela was commissioned in 2007 by Ecopetrol, Chevron and PDVSA between...
- Energy Prices
The price of gasoline reached US$1.08/l in 2014. The price of diesel was US$1.04/l. A 2008 decree established a fund for the stabilisation of the fuel prices charged to final consumers (FEPC), which has accumulated a large amount of money due to relatively high prices in the country.
- Energy Consumption
Per capita consumption is around 0.67 toe and 1 130 kWh of electricity (2014).
Total energy consumption has increased by 2.3%/year since 2003. It reached 33 Mtoe in 2014.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
- Issues & Prospects
Colombia expects the country's electricity needs and, consequently, its need for new infrastructures, to grow significantly.
In 2013 UPME released the 2014-2028 Generation-Transmission Development Plan, which identifies the main issues related to the power grid in each area, and defines...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Colombia market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2014, %)
GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
In the Colombia market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Colombia market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Colombia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Colombia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports