The Ministry of Energy and Mines was created in August 2013. It drafts the energy policy in collaboration with the National Energy Commission (CNE). It formulates laws and ordinances and develops energy policy measures and long-term plans for...
Dominican Republic energy report
Dominican Rep. energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Dominican Rep. energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 13 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Three oil companies are active in the oil exploration sector: Petrolera Once Once (Dominican Republic-USA-Spain consortium), Murfin Drilling Co (an American company) and Maleno Oil.
Refidomsa (Refinería Dominicana de Petróleo) manages the Haina refinery....
- Energy Supply
Oil exploration was restarted in July 1996, so far without any results.
The Dominican Republic has a refining capacity of 50 000 bbl/d (Bonao 16 000 bbl/d and Haina 34 000 bbl/d). About 35% of the oil product requirements are covered by the national production, and the remainder is...
- Energy Prices
The prices of motor fuels, which increase on a regular basis, are fixed by the Government and are the responsibility of the MIC. In 2012 the price of gasoline was US$1.6/l and that of diesel US$1.3/l. Those prices have increased fourfold since 2003.
The November 2000 law on fuels...
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption per capita was approximately 0.9 toe in 2011, including 1 400 kWh of electricity.
Oil represents 62% of the primary consumption, biomass 20%, gas 9%, coal 7% and hydroelectricity 2%. The share of natural gas is increasing steadily and since 2010 has been higher than...
- Issues & Prospects
The Action Plan for the Modernization of the Electricity Sector 2010-2015, published by the Government in 2009, reinforces the objectives of the previous plan.
At the end of 2011 CDEEE launched an international call for tenders to add 1 000 MW in new capacity (up to 1 500 MW later) at a...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Dominican Rep. market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- Graph 1: Installed Electric Capacity by Source (2011, %)
- Graph 2: Power Generation by Source (2011, %)
- Graph 3: Consumption trends by Energy Source (Mtoe)
- Graph 4: Total Consumption Market Share by Energy (2011, %)
- Graph 5: Final Consumption Market Share by Sector (2011, %)
- Graph 6: Primary Consumption since 1970
In the Dominican Rep. market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Dominican Rep. market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2011 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Dominican Rep. Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Dominican Rep. energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports