The METI, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, is in charge of the energy sector through ANRE, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy). ANRE has three departments: the Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy Department, the Natural...
Japan energy report
Japan energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Japan energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 44 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Three companies account for more than 80% of the gas supply: Tokyo Gas (15.4 bcm of sales volume in FY 2015), Osaka Gas (8.1 bcm) and Toho Gas (3.9 bcm). There are around 200 gas companies, 85% of which are private; they are grouped...
- Energy Supply
Japan has limited resources (around 6.2 Mt of oil and 30.5 bcm of gas in 2015) and fossil fuel production is very low compared to the demand. ANRE estimates that the economically exploitable potential of renewable energies amounts to 38-64 Mtoe/year (including 10-21 Mtoe of solar and 7-10 Mtoe...
- Energy Prices
On the regulated market, prices are set by METI, and are US$11.3c/kWh for households and US$4.77c/kWh for industry (2015). Over 2007-2014, the average gas price increased sharply, especially in the industrial sector (an 80% increase between 2007 and 2011). Due to the fall of gas prices on the...
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption per capita decreased from 4.1 toe in 2006 to 3.4 toe in 2015, nearly reaching EU-level (3.1 toe). Electricity consumption per capita also decreased: around 7 400 kWh in 2015, compared to 8 000 kWh in 2007 (EU levels of 5 500 kWh).
Total energy consumption has been...
- Issues & Prospects
Using its Global Energy Forecasting Model POLES, Enerdata foresees the share of oil to account for 30% of the primary energy consumption by 2040, while the share of natural gas would be around 21% and the share of coal around 17%. The remainder would be covered by nuclear (12%), renewables (9%)...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Japan market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2015, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2015, %)
- GRAPH 5: Map of natural gas infrastructure
- GRAPH 6: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 7: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 8: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 9: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 10: Total consumption market share by energy (2015, %)
- GRAPH 11: Final consumption market share by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 13: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 15: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 16: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 17: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 19: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2015, %)
In the Japan market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, Gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Japan market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2015 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Japan Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Japan energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports