Kazakhstan was part of the Soviet Union until 1991. The country has abundant oil, gas and mineral resources (namely uranium, chromium, lead, zinc) and their exploitation boosts its economic activity. Since 2000, its economic growth has averaged 8%/year. However, the fall in the oil price and an...
Kazakhstan energy report
Kazakhstan energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Kazakhstan energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 39 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
KazMunaiGas (KMG) is the national oil and gas company. It was created in 2002 through the merger of Kazakhoil and Transneftegaz, the national gas transportation company. In 2015 KazMunaiGas produced 12.3 Mt of crude oil (Similar to 2014) and transported 65% of oil. The...
- Energy Supply
Kazakhstan has abundant energy reserves. They amount to about 4.1 Gt for oil, around 2 000 bcm for gas and 33.6 Gt for coal (eighth largest coal reserves in the world, end of 2013). About 70% of the Kazakhstani oil potential is located in the west of the country, particularly in the Caspian Sea...
- Energy Prices
Electricity prices have been on the rise since 2005. In 2011 prices for industry increased by 50% compared to 2010, reaching US$6.9c/kWh. For households, prices reached US$5.4 c/kWh in 2015 following a peak at US$6.9c/kWh in 2013.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$...
- Energy Consumption
Per capita consumption is about 4.5 toe, and about 4 600 kWh of electricity.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Total energy consumption has been increasing very...
- Issues & Prospects
In its Strategy 2050 Programme, Kazakhstan expects electricity demand to reach 100 TWh in 2020, 135 TWh in 2030 and 170 TWh in 2050. To face the growing demand and the decommissioning of old plants, about 11 GW of additional capacity should be built by 2030 and about 35 GW by 2050 (figures not...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Kazakhstan market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2015, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2015 %)
- GRAPH 5: Map of natural gas infrastructure
- GRAPH 6: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 7: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 8: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 9: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 10: Total consumption market share by energy (2015, %)
- GRAPH 11: Final consumption market share by sector (2015, %)
In the Kazakhstan market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Kazakhstan market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2015 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Kazakhstan Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Kazakhstan energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports