The Ministry of Energy and Mines (MEM) is responsible for the energy sector and operates through four ministerial departments: the Department of Energy Policy and Planning (DEPP); the Department of Energy Business (DEB) which is in charge of private sector investments in the...
Lao PDR energy report
Lao PDR energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Lao PDR energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 27 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Ophir Energy (through the acquisition of Salamander Energy in 2015) is the only foreign company active in the exploration of hydrocarbons. It has a 20% stake in the Champasak and Saravan PSC in the Khorat basin.
The main distribution company is Lao State Fuel Enterprise...
- Energy Supply
In 2007 the Government granted an exploration permit for the Savannakhet area, which is the main zone of interest in the country. Three permits had been granted in the past, but no drillings were carried out and the companies withdrew. As at 2015, drilling is yet to start in the Champasak and...
- Energy Prices
In 2011, EDL reduced its electricity tariff for industry to support the Government's efforts in boosting investments in this sector. On the other hand, the electricity tariff for households has been raised to encourage efficient use of electricity.
In 2014 the average price of electricity...
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption is relatively low at 0.36 toe/capita, including around 460 kWh of electricity (2014).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
Total energy consumption...
- Issues & Prospects
Lao PDR is planning the large-scale development of its hydroelectric resources in order to increase its exports to Thailand, and then to Vietnam. Private capital has been mobilised for such projects, either in the form of BOT-type schemes or in the form of joint ventures. The country aims to...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Lao PDR market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2014, %)
GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
GRAPH 7: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
GRAPH 8: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
GRAPH 9: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
In the Lao PDR market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Lao PDR market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Lao PDR Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Lao PDR energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports