The Ministry of Economics supervises the energy sector through the Energy Market and Infrastructure Department and the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Department. It drafts the energy policy and works to ensure energy security through the promotion of renewable energies,...
Latvia energy report
Latvia energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Latvia energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 35 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Latvijas Gaze covers the entire gas sector: exploration, supply, storage, import/export and distribution. The company was fully privatised in 2002; its capital was mainly owned by E.ON Ruhrgaz (47.2%), Gazprom (34%) and Itera-Latvija (16%). In January 2016, Uniper (former E.ON)...
- Energy Supply
All the country's gas is imported from Russia. Gas imports averaged 1.7 bcm between 2009 and 2013 (. Imports fell by 44% in 2014 to about 0.95 bcm, due to warm temperatures that reduced consumption. Gas imports soared by 38% to 1.3 bcm thanks to a rising demand from the power sector and due to...
- Energy Prices
The price of natural gas increased 3.5-fold for industry and 4-fold for households between 2000 and 2012. They have been decreasing slightly since then (-5.8%/year and -3%/year, respectively, until 2015); prices dipped by 9.1% for industry, but remained stable for households (+0.8%) in 2015....
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption per capita is 2.2 toe (28% below the EU average), including 3 370 kWh of electricity, i.e. 39% below the EU average (2014).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
- Issues & Prospects
The Energy Strategy of the Energy Ministry forecasts that total energy consumption will increase by around 7% between 2010 and 2020, and by 3.7% between 2020 and 2030. By 2030, electricity consumption should grow by 24% (with wind power accounting for nearly half of total electricity by 2030)....
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Latvia market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 5: Map of natural gas infrastructure
- GRAPH 6: Gasoline & diesel prices (€/l)
- GRAPH 7: Electricity prices for industry and households (€c/kWh)
- GRAPH 8: Gas prices for industry and households (€c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 9: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 10: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
- GRAPH 11: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
- GRAPH 12: Oil consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 13: Oil consumption breakdown by sector (2014, %)
- GRAPH 14: Electricity consumption (TWh)
- GRAPH 15: Electricity consumption breakdown by sector (2014, %)
- GRAPH 16: Natural gas consumption (bcm)
- GRAPH 17: Gas consumption breakdown by sector (2014, %)
- GRAPH 18: Coal consumption (Mt)
- GRAPH 19: Coal consumption breakdown by sector (2014, %)
In the Latvia market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, Gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Latvia market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Latvia Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Latvia energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports