The State Secretary for Energy under the new Ministry of Economy (October 2015) is in charge of the country's energy policy and of supervising the energy sector. The Directorate General for Energy and Geology (DGEG) is a public entity that contributes to the...
Portugal energy report
Portugal energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Portugal energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 43 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Galp Energia dominates the oil market. It was created in 1999 by the Government in order to group together its stakes in the country's oil (Petrogal) and gas companies (Gas de Portugal and Transgas). Galp Energia's main shareholders are Amorim Energia (38.34%), and Parpublica (7...
- Energy Supply
Portugal does not produce oil, and in 20154 imported 18 Mt of oil (83% of which as crude oil). In 2015, the main suppliers were Angola (26%), Saudi Arabia (13%), Algeria and Kazakhstan (10% each).
The country has a refining capacity of 330 kb/d (16.5 Mt/year) distributed in two refineries...
- Energy Prices
The average intraday price on MIBEL in Portugal has been declining since 2011, from €50.5/MWh to €41.9/MWh in 2014 (average of €50.4/MWh in 2015, reflecting the higher share of thermal generation during the year).
Electricity tariffs have soared since 2008. Industrial tariffs rose...
- Energy Consumption
Consumption per capita is 31% lower than the EU average, at 2.1 toe, 4 500 kWh of which is electricity (19% below the EU average).
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
- Issues & Prospects
According to REN's 2015 forecasts, gas consumption should increase by an average of 1%/year between 2015 and 2020 and by 1.6%/year between 2020 and 2025. New supply contracts may be signed to secure the country's gas demand, in particular through LNG imports from Galp Energia's projects in...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Portugal market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
In the Portugal market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
- Infrastructure Projects: Covers power plant projects by energy, technology, status and operator, Gas plant projects by status and operator and LNG contracts.
The Portugal market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2015 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Portugal Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Portugal energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports