In July 2011 Sudan was split into two countries: Sudan and the Republic of South Sudan. This was the result of Sudan's Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) which in 2005 brought an end to 22 years of civil war between the northern and southern parts of the country, and of the referendum organised...
Sudan energy report
Sudan energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Sudan energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 29 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
The upstream oil sector is dominated by a public company Sudapet, Sudan National Petroleum Corporation, under the supervision of the Ministry of Energy and Mining. However, because of limited financial resources and technical limitations,...
- Energy Supply
Oil production in undivided Sudan was relatively stable between 2008 and the year 2011, when it reached 22.6 Mt. South Sudan's production shut-down caused a dramatic drop to 5.1 Mt in 2012. At about 8.0 Mt, the production remained at a low level in 2014 due to the civil war.
This had a...
- Energy Prices
In 2012 power prices stood towards the lower end of the range observed in Sub-Saharan Africa. In 2013, the electricity tariffs in the residential sector ranged from US$34c/kWh for consumption levels below 200 kWh to US$5c/kWh for consumption levels over 200 kWh. Electricity...
- Energy Consumption
Total energy consumption per capita was about 0.4 toe in 2013. Sudan's per capita electricity consumption is among the lowest in the world, at 180 kWh in 2013, compared to the Sub-Saharan African average of 380 kWh.
Graph: CONSUMPTION TRENDS BY ENERGY SOURCE (Mtoe)
- Issues & Prospects
Both countries suffer from inadequate power supply and have announced new capacities for the coming years. However, with the loss of oil revenues following the secession, power project financing appears to be difficult and the countries' plans for the future remain highly uncertain.
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Sudan market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
GRAPH 1: Installed electric capacity by source (2013, %)
GRAPH 2: Gross power production by source (TWh)
GRAPH 3: Power generation by source (2013, %)
GRAPH 4: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
GRAPH 5: Total consumption market share by energy (2013, %)
GRAPH 6: Final consumption market share by sector (2013, %)
In the Sudan market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Sudan market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2013 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Sudan Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Sudan energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports