The Ministry of Industry, Energy and Mines (MIEM), through its National Energy Department (DNE), supervises the energy sector and the energy companies, with the exception of the company that manages the Salto Grande joint hydroelectric plant between Uruguay...
Uruguay energy report
Uruguay energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Uruguay energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 27 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Gasoducto del Litoral (100% Ancap) owns and operates the gas pipeline which supplies the town of Paysandu at the border with Argentina.
Gasoducto Cruz del Sur (BG 40%, Pan American 30%, Ancap 20% and Wintershall Energie 10%) manages the gas pipeline that...
- Energy Supply
Like its immediate neighbours, Uruguay has large hydroelectric resources, especially along the Uruguay River, which it partly exploits in collaboration with Argentina. However, those resources are limited and all the projects have already been developed or are currently being developed. Of a...
- Energy Prices
The price of electricity is high as well: US$10c/kWh for industry and US$13.9c/kWh for households (2016).
Uruguay is increasing electricity prices as part of the Government's efforts to cut its budget deficit.
Graph: ELECTRICITY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY AND HOUSEHOLDS (US$c/kWh)...
- Energy Consumption
The average primary energy consumption per capita is 1.5 toe, including 3 000 kWh/cap (2014).
Oil represented about 43% of the country's total energy needs in 2014. The share of hydroelectricity was 17%, but exceeded 20% in certain previous years (depending on climate conditions).
- Issues & Prospects
The country expects to greatly exploit gas reserves that were discovered in 2008, in particular in view of the rise of the export prices to Argentina. While it waits for its resources to be exploited, Uruguay plans to import gas from Bolivia. Various solutions are being studied, involving...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Uruguay market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-energy Emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 5: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 6: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 7: Gas prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh GCV)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
In the Uruguay market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Uruguay market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Uruguay Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Uruguay energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports