The Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) supervises the energy sector. Within the MOIT, the General Department of Energy administers the planning of the nuclear, thermal and hydro power sectors, as well as the oil, gas and coal sectors....
Vietnam energy report
Vietnam energy market analysis is derived from the most recent key economic indicators, supply and demand factors, oil & gas pricing trends and major energy issues and developments surrounding the energy industry. The analysis includes a comprehensive energy market report and updated Vietnam energy market data.
Format: 2 files (PDF report, Excel file)
Pages: 37 (Report only)
Delivery: Immediate by e-mail
- Institutions & Energy Policy
- Energy Companies
Petrovietnam, the state-owned oil and gas company, dominates the oil sector. It operates through its various subsidiaries and affiliates like Petrovietnam Exploration and Production (PVEP) and PV OIL.
Vietsovpetro (51/49 joint venture of Petrovietnam and the Russian group Zarubezhneft),...
- Energy Supply
The marketed production of natural gas grew very rapidly between 2002 and 2010, from 2.8 bcmto 9.8 bcm (+17%/year, on average), following the commissioning in 2002 of the Nam Con Son field. Production growth has slowed down since then (about 2%/year) and reached 10.6bcm in 2014.
- Energy Prices
The costs of transmission and distribution, as well as the minimum and maximum production tariffs, are determined by the Regulatory Authority. In 2015, the price of electricity was US$8.1c/kWh for households and US$6.5c/kWh for industry. Prices increased regularly after 2010. Electricity prices...
- Energy Consumption
Energy consumption per capita is low, at 0.72 toe and 1 420 kWh for electricity (2014). The household electrification rate increased from 82% in 2000 to 98% in 2014.
Since 2000 total energy consumption has increased at the significant rate of 7%/year, reaching 65.2 Mtoe in 2014. The role...
- Issues & Prospects
According to Vietnam's 2020 Energy Plan, energy consumption should increase by an average of 7%/year until 2020. In 2020, the share of coal should drop to 15%, and the share of gas should increase to 29%, while the share of oil is expected to be 56%. About half of the commercial energy...
- GENERAL OVERVIEW
- INSTITUTIONS AND ENERGY POLICY
- ENERGY COMPANIES
- ENERGY SUPPLY
- ENERGY PRICES
- ENERGY CONSUMPTION
- ISSUES AND PROSPECTS
- DATA TABLES
In the Vietnam market report you will find the graphs mentioned below:
- GRAPH 1: CO2-Energy emissions (MtCO2)
- GRAPH 2: Installed electric capacity by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 3: Gross power production by source (TWh)
- GRAPH 4: Power generation by source (2014, %)
- GRAPH 5: Map of natural gas infrastructures
- GRAPH 6: Gasoline & diesel prices (US$/l)
- GRAPH 7: Electricity prices for industry and households (US$c/kWh)
- GRAPH 8: Consumption trends by energy source (Mtoe)
- GRAPH 9: Total consumption market share by energy (2014, %)
- GRAPH 10: Final consumption market share by sector (2014, %)
In the Vietnam market report you will find follow tables:
- Economic Indicators: Annual historical data including population, GNP growth, imports & exports, inflation rate, energy security and efficiency indicators, CO2 emissions.
- Supply Indicators: Historical data including oil & gas reserves, electric & refining capacity, energy production, power production and external trade. All detailed by energy source.
- Demand Indicators: Historical data includes consumption per inhabitant, consumption trends, total consumption by energy source, final consumption by energy source & sector, and, electricity consumption by sector.
- Energy Balances: Unique tabular display of the overall energy industry balance per annum, also graphically displayed by energy sub-segment.
The Vietnam market data since 1990 included in the Excel file is given below.
Historical evolution allows to easily work with the data.
2014 Key Data included in the excelsheet:
- Economic indicators: Annual historical economic indicators, energy security, energy efficiency and CO2 emissions.
- Supply indicators: Annual historical reserves, capacity, production and external trade (imports(+) exports(-) balance).
- Demand indicators: Annual historical consumption per capita, consumption trends, total consumption, final consumption (per energy and per sector) and electricity consumption total and per sector.
- Energy Balance: total and per energy.
- Vietnam Energy Prices: In addition to the analysis provided on the report we also provided a data set which includes historical details on the Vietnam energy prices for the follow items: price of premium gasoline (taxes incl.), price of diesel (taxes incl.), price of electricity in industry (taxes incl.), price of electricity for households (taxes incl.), price of natural gas in industry (taxes incl.), prices of natural gas for households (taxes incl.), spot price of Brent and CO2 emissions (from fuel combustion).
Back to the market reports