Equatorial Guinea

2016 Equatorial Guinea Key Figures
Population: 1.22 million
GDP growth rate: -9.7 %/year
Energy independence: 100%
Total consumption/GDP:* 118 (2015=100)
CO2 Emissions: 3.65 tCO2/capita
Rate of T&D power losses: 10.0%
* at purchasing power parity
Equatorial Guinea Related News
Interested in a daily & world selection of energy articles? More information on Key Energy Intelligence
Equatorial Guinea Related Research

Total Energy consumption

Energy consumption per capita is almost 1.6 toe, including around 320 kWh of electricity (2016).

Total energy consumption increased sixfold between 2001 and 2007 to a peak of 1.7 Mtoe, mainly driven by gas consumption in industry. After 2014 (1.5 Mtoe), consumption increased again to reach 2.0 Mtoe in 2016.


Graph: ...

 Total energy consumption

Crude oil production

Production of crude oil and condensates increased from 11.6 Mt in 2011 to 13.5 Mt in 2015, but decreased slightly in 2016 (13.1 Mt).

Production increased dramatically following the commissioning of the first field of Alba in 1996 and then the Zafiro field, reaching a peak of 17.9 Mt in 2005. It then decreased by around 5.5%/year until 2011. About 85% of the production is in the form ...

EMEA Refineries Dataset

 Crude oil production

Oil products consumption

The consumption of oil products has been stable since 2005. Transport accounts for around 95% of their consumption while the remaining 5% is consumed by the residential and tertiary sector.

EMEA Refineries Dataset

 Refined oil products production

CO2 fuel combustion/CO2 emissions

CO2 emissions from fuel combustion have increased sharply between 2001 and 2010 due to the high development of gas in industry. They decreased between 2011 and 2014, but are on the rise again since then (+35% in 2016).


Secured payment by Banque Populaire des Alpes VISA MASTERCARD