Saudi Arabia

2017 Saudi Arabia Key Figures
Population: 33.1 million
GDP growth rate: -0.9 %/year
Energy independence: 100%
Total consumption/GDP:* 117 (2015=100)
CO2 Emissions: 16.6 tCO2/capita
Rate of T&D power losses: 8.30%
* at purchasing power parity
Saudi Arabia Related News
Interested in a daily & world selection of energy articles? More information on Key Energy Intelligence
Saudi Arabia Related Analysis
Saudi Arabia Related Research

Total Energy consumption

Consumption per capita is very high, reaching 6.4 toe in 2017, including about 9 MWh of electricity.

Total energy consumptionincreased rapidly until 2015 (3.6%/year over 2010-2015) and has been decreasing since then (212 Mtoe in 2017). It has more than doubled since 2000. driven by high sustained economic growth, combined with low energy prices. It has stabilised since then with the ...


 Total energy consumption

Crude oil production

Saudi Arabia is the second largest oil producer in the world, with 584 Mt in 2018 (crude oil and NGL). Production has increased by an average 1.5%/year since 2000, but it is overall dependant on OPEC production cuts. Crude oil represents 90% of the total production, while the remaining 10% is made up of NGL.

Saudi Aramco reached full production from Manifa, the world's fifth largest ...

EMEA Refineries Dataset

 Crude oil production

Renewable in % electricity production

KACARE is in charge of renewable programmes. In January 2019, it announced the objective of reaching 60 GW of renewables by 2030, of which 40 GW from solar sources. Prior to that, the "Saudi Vision 2030" program aimed at generating 10% of its total production from renewable sources by 2023, which implied the deployment of 9.5 GW of capacity from solar and wind.

In 2017, the government ...

 Share of renewables in electricity production (incl hydro)

CO2 fuel combustion/CO2 emissions

According to its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), Saudi Arabia intends to achieve a reduction in emissions of 130 MtCO2eq by 2030 as compared to a BAU scenario.

CO2-energy emissions increased strongly between 1990 and 2015 (+5%/year on average), but have remained stable since then (550 MtCO2 in 2017). Per capita CO2 emissions are among the highest in the world and reached ...

Secured payment by Banque Populaire des Alpes VISA MASTERCARD